Yesterday Rachael Ray made this on her show. It looked really good and sounded like the perfect comfort food. (Which I need--I think I'm getting a sinus infection, ugh!) I went against my strong obsession to not use ketchup and mustard...it turned out so yummy! Cody said he liked it better than any homemade mac and cheese that I've tried, and the kids loved it, too!
Cheeseburger Chili Mac and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I only had 1/3 c. left in the bottle)
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard (I only had two little packets from Maid-rite)
- 1 to 2 cups beef stock (depending on how liquid-y you want it)
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar (the sharper the better!)
Place a medium pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the meat to the pan and cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
Add the onion and chili powder to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the ketchup, mustard and beef stock to the pot, bring up to a bubble and simmer until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes.
Add the chili to the pot with the pasta and give everything a good toss. Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the shredded cheese. Place the casserole under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese. Serve with a simple salad alongside.